Soft Pretzels

Soft Pretzels

Photo by Sarah A.

  • Prep Time


  • Total Time


  • Servings



  • For the dough:

  • cups warm water (110-115° F)

  • 1

    Tbs sugar

  • 2

    tsp kosher salt

  • tsp instant yeast

  • 22

    oz all-purpose flour (about 4½ cups)

  • 4

    Tbs unsalted butter, melted

  • Vegetable oil

  • For finishing:

  • cooking spray

  • 10

    cups water

  • cup baking soda

  • 4

    Tbs unsalted butter, melted

  • kosher (or pretzel) salt


To make the dough, combine the water, sugar, salt and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the yeast is dissolved. Add the flour and melted butter and mix until the dough just comes together. Switch to the dough hook and knead on medium speed until the dough is smooth and clears the sides of the bowl, about 5 minutes. Transfer the dough to a bowl lightly greased with vegetable oil, turning once to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place, about 50-55 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray. Bring the water and baking soda to a boil in a large saucepan or stockpot. Meanwhile, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces (a kitchen scale makes this very easy). Working one piece at a time, roll the dough into a 24-inch long rope. Make a U-shape with the dough, and holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and onto the bottom of the U-shape to form a pretzel. Transfer the pretzel to the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough. Working 1-2 pretzels at a time, place into the boiling water and boil for 30 seconds, flipping once. Use a slotted spoon or skimmer to remove the pretzels from the water and transfer back to the baking sheet. Repeat with all the pretzels. Using 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, brush the pretzels with the butter. Sprinkle each pretzel with salt, and bake until they are a dark golden-brown, about 12-14 minutes. Brush with the remaining butter, transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes, and serve.


Facebook Conversations