San Antonio Migas
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/2-inch strips, then cut into 2-inch rectangles
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and 2 tablespoons water vigorously. Set aside.
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Cook the tortilla strips: Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the butter melts, add the tortilla strips and cook, stirring and tossing, until they are all golden and crispy.
Cook the vegetables: When the tortillas are crisp, add the bell pepper, chiles and onion to the skillet. Season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the eggs to the pan, season with salt and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook, stirring to scramble and combine, until most of the moisture is cooked out, then remove from the heat. Stir in the tomatoes. Serve topped with cheese.