Chewy Oat Squares
Cooking Light August 2013
Amount per servingCalories: 159
Saturated fat: 3.5g
Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 6 whole pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup golden cane syrup (such as Lyle's Golden Syrup)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
Preparation time 18mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Line a 9-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray. Place juice and dates in a food processor; pulse until dates are finely chopped.
3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in date mixture, syrup, and salt. Remove date mixture from heat. Cool 5 minutes. Stir in oats, cherries, chocolate, and sesame seeds. Spoon oat mixture into prepared pan. Using wet hands, carefully press the mixture into the corners of the pan.
4. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Place pan in refrigerator; cool 20 minutes. Invert oat mixture onto cutting board; cut into 16 squares.