Hawaiian Dream Trifle
- 1 10" store made angel food cake
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 12 ounce jar pineapple preserves
- 1 c sweetened flaked coconut, toasted (reserve 1T for garnish)
- 2/3 c toasted macadamia nuts, chopped (reserve 1T for garnish)
- 2 3.4 ounce boxes (4 serving size) instant coconut cream pudding mix
- 3 c cold milk
- 1 16 ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
Adapted from justapinch.com
Cut or tear angel food cake into bite size pieces.
In a medium size bowl, combine crushed pineapple and 1/2 jar of pineapple preserves.
Mix well and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the instant pudding mix and milk.
Using a wire whisk, mix well, then add 1 cup of the whipped topping.
Using a trifle bowl or a large glass bowl, layer ingredients: half of the cake pieces, half of the pineapple, half of the coconut and half of the macadamia nuts.
Spread half of the pudding over all.
Repeat layers using the rest of the cake, pineapple, coconut and the macadamia nuts.
Spread remaining pudding over all.
Generously spread top with whipped topping and garnish with reserved toasted coconut and nuts.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
To toast coconut AND nuts spread each out on separate baking sheet in a single layer.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12-14 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning.
Coconut and macadamia nuts are toasted when they are lightly browned and fragrant.