Soup - bean
- 1 2/3 cups drained Navy Beans (canned or dried and soaked overnight)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tsp vegan liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper hot sauce
- 4 garlic cloves or 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 medium white potato, baked (skin on)
- as needed to thin soup: 1/3-1/2 cup soy creamer (or soy milk, or more water) — plain flavor
Adapted from babble.com
1. In a soup pot, add the drained beans, water, bay leaf, salt, parsley, onion, celery, liquid smoke, hot sauce, pepper, garlic and vegan butter. Bring to a boil and simmer while potato bakes (step 2).
2. Bake a skin-on potato for about 5-7 minutes in microwave (until tender). You can also bake in oven if time.
3. Rough chop your potato and add to a high speed blender. Remove bay leaf from broth pot soup. Add in about 1-2 cups of the soup (mostly broth). Blend on low -> medium until potato is pureed. Your soup will be thick at this point. Add in as much soy creamer or soy milk (or water) as you’d like to thin out the potato portion of the soup. Remember, you still have your other bean/broth mixture to add so keep that in mind. I added about 1/3 cup soy creamer and another 1/2 cup water.
4. Lastly, you want to blend the thick potato mixture with your whole bean broth mixture. If you want totally creamy soup, simply blend the entire portion in the blender with the potato. If you like some whole beans, simply fold the potato mixture in with the whole beans.
5. Simmer on stove until ready to serve.