Alioli, a very popular Spanish sauce, goes well with almost anything—from grilled meat to vegetables to seafood. Although the authentic version is an emulsion of garlic and oil, eggs are commonly added (especially in restaurants) because they make the sauce less fragile and easier to whip up. We've made ours even easier by using store-bought mayonnaise.
- Pinch of saffron threads (about 8 crumbled)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Put saffron threads in a small cup, then add hot water and let stand 5 minutes.
Purée saffron mixture with remaining ingredients in a mini food processor or a blender until smooth.