slow cooker ribollita
- 3 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1/4 small head green cabbage, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus a 2-inch piece of the rind
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 thick slices crusty bread
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
Combine the carrots, celery, cabbage, pancetta, beans, tomato paste, parmesan rind, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 7 cups water in a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low, 7 to 8 hours. Leave 1 slice of bread at room temperature to dry out slightly.
Before serving, add the stale bread to the slow cooker. Cover and continue to cook, about 10 minutes. Stir the soup well, then add the grated parmesan and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Spread the remaining 4 bread slices on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Broil until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Place a slice in each bowl.
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil and the garlic in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, swirling the pan frequently, until the garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Stir the garlic and oil into the soup. Ladle the soup over the bread in the bowls.