- 4 thick-cut bacon slices, cut into 3" strips
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 each carrots and celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 C all-purpose flour
- 1 C pale ale
- 1 T worcestershire sauce
- 2 C each milk and chicken broth
- 1 1/4 lb sharp cheddar chese, shredded
- Kosher salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Toasted croutons for garnish
- White truffle oil for drizzling
In 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook bacon 8 minutes; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 T fat in pot. Reduce heat to medium, melt butter. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook, covered, 20 minutes. Add garlic; cook one minute. Add flour; cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes. Add ale; cook, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes. Add worcestershire, milk and broth; bring to a simmer over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10-12 minutes. Puree with immersion blender.
Set pot over medium-low heat; add cheese by handfuls, stirring constantly; do not boil. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with croutons and bacon; drizzle with white truffle oil.