Indian - Shahi Korma
The word Shahi means Royal, and was created in the royal kitchens of the Maharajas of India. This is a rich and creamy dish, not too hot. Great for a special occasion.
- Grind the following 4 ingredients:
- 2 lbs of boned, trimmed leg of lamb cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- 2/3 cup thick set plain yogurt
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 4 tbl ghee [clarified butter] or unsalted butter
- 2 medium/1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tbl coriander seeds
- 8 to 10 cardomoms
- 10 to 12 whole black peppercorns
- 3-4 dried red chili peppers
- Mix the 2 following ingredients with the above ground.
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground Mace
- 3or4 tbl freshly chopped mint
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1/2 tsp crushed Saffron strands
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raw split Cashews
- 2/3 cup double whipping cream
- 1 tbs rosewater
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 115mins
Put meat, yogurt, ginger and garlic into bowl. mix thoroughly, cover, and leave to marinate for 2 to 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Put marinated meat mix into a heavy based saucepan and bring to a slow simmer over a medium low heat, cover and cook for 45 mins. Stirring occasionally. Remove meat and store in a container. Transfer juices to a blender and put aside.
In saucepan heat ghee/butter, and fry onions about 5 mins. or until lightly brown. Turn heat down and add ground spices and mint. Stir and cook for a couple of mins. Add ground Almonds. Mix thoroughly, and transfer to blender. Blend with a little more water if needed, until mixture is creamy. Transfer back into saucepan, add meat, stir and fry for about 5 mins.
Add saffron, salt. and cashews, bring to a slow boil, and simmer for another 20 mins.
Add cream, mix well, simmer uncovered for 6 to 8 mins.
Stir in Rosewater, and remove from heat.