- 1 whole raw chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 pound thin spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
- 1/4 cup finely diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the chicken pieces to the boiling water and boil for a few minutes, then return the heat to medium-low and simmer, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove the chicken and 2 cups of the chicken cooking broth from the pot. When the chicken is cool, remove the skin and pick out the meat (a mix of dark and white) to make 2 generous cups.
Cook the spaghetti in the same chicken cooking broth until al dente. Do not overcook. When the spaghetti is cooked, combine with the chicken, mushroom soup, 1 1/2 cups cheese, the green peppers, red peppers, onions, seasoned salt, cayenne, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir in 1 cup of the reserved chicken cooking broth, adding an additional cup if needed.
Place the mixture in a casserole pan and top with the remaining 1 cup cheese. Cover and freeze up to 6 months, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days or bake immediately until bubbly, about 45 minutes. (If the cheese on top starts to get too cooked, cover with foil).