Classic Chicken Parmesan
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 10 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato puree
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups grated mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
Preparation time 20mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to make 4 thin cutlets. Put between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until 1/4 inch thick.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the garlic softens, about 1 minute. Add the tomato puree, then rinse out the can with 1 cup water and add to the pot. Simmer until the sauce just thickens, about 10 minutes. Whisk in 1/4 cup parmesan and the basil. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in a 3-quart baking dish. Preheat the broiler.
Meanwhile, combine the flour and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Beat the eggs with 1/4 cup parmesan in another shallow dish. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge 2 chicken cutlets in the flour, tapping off the excess, then dip in the egg mixture. Carefully lay in the skillet and fry until golden brown and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the baking dish. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet and repeat with the remaining 2 chicken cutlets. Add to the baking dish.
Combine the mozzarella and the remaining 2 tablespoons parmesan in a bowl. Sprinkle half of the cheese mixture on the chicken, then top with the remaining sauce and the remaining cheese mixture. Broil until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/classic-chicken-parmesan-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback