- 1/4 cup each of any combination:
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice, rinsed in cold water
- chopped dates
- diced apricots
- dried figs
- variety of toasted nuts: pine nuts, almonds etc.
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. oil for frying
- 2 tbsp. parsley, chives or green onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add rice and cook until al dente but not mushy. Drain and let cool slightly. In a large saute pan on low heat, fry onion and garlic in butter and oil until golden and soft. Transfer rice to a large bowl and add all of the other ingredients, including the fat from the pan. Stir well until blended. Garnish with fresh herbs.