Rotini and Cheese
This hearty one-dish meal combines smoky bacon with tangy cheddar for a family-friendly midweek meal that comes together in a flash.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)
Fat:19.9g (sat 9.1g,mono 7.7g,poly 1.3g)
- 2 bacon slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups hot cooked rotini (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
Adapted from find.myrecipes.com
1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Increase heat to medium-high. Add butter and oil to drippings in pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add flour, and sauté 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in mustard. Gradually add 1 cup milk, stirring constantly with a whisk, and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Add cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
2. Place pan over low heat. Stir in bacon, pasta, and peas; cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, tossing to coat.