Rate this recipe 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time:--Cook Time:5 minLevel:
- Print Recipe .
- Jicama Matchstick Fries
- 2005 courtesy George Stella, George Stella's Livin' Low Carb: Family Recipes Stella-Style, Simon and Schuster, 2005
- 4 servings.Ingredients
- to 6 6 cups vegetable oil (more or less depending on pot size)
- •1 medium jicama, peeled
- •Onion powder
- •Garlic powder
- 1-inch to 350 pot over medium-high heat and fill with at least 1-inch vegetable oil. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. (Portable deep-fryers at home are great for this, but if you don’t have one, use a candy thermometer – just be careful!)
- to thinly slice the jicama, as you would a potato to make chips, then stack a few slices at a time and cut them all into matchstick-sized pieces.
- Carefully place the chips into the hot oil (use a slotted spoon and wear mitts) and fry until very crispy (just a few minutes will do). Cook in batches, as necessary. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- to to with equal amounts of salt, onion, and garlic powders, and paprika to taste. Toss to coat well and serve immediately