Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ pound (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup tightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 ½ t. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 7 oz bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1/2 inch chunks OR... chocolate chips - pour as much in as you desire.
1) Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
2) Using a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugars on low speed until it is smooth and lump free, about 3 minutes.
3) Add the vanilla and egg and beat on low speed for 15 seconds, or until fully incorporated. Do not overbeat. 4) On low speed, add the flour mixture. Beat until just incorporated... Add the chocolate chunks and mix until they are just mixed in. Refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
5) Preheat oven to 350. Adjust racks to lower and upper thirds of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats. Spoon the dough using a cookie scooper 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. (makes about 23 3-inch round cookies)
6) Bake for 9-11 mins or until golden brown around the edges, turning the sheets front to back and switching racks halfway through. Remove the sheet from the oven and carefully slide the parchment or Silpats directly onto a work surface. When cookies are set, remove them to a cooling rack.