Lasagne Blognese with Bechamel sauce
- BOLOGNESE SAUCE
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 pound panchetta , diced
- 1 1/4 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/12 cups dry white wine
- 2 1/2 canned tomatoes, cut with juices, ( imported plum tomatoes are best)
- BECHAMEL SAUCE
- 3 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of nutmeg, ground
- LASAGNA NOODLES
- 1 pound fresh lasagna noodles
- 3 tablspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1. Put the oil, butter, chopped onion and panchetta in a pot, turn the heat on to medium.
2. Cook and stir until pancetta has rendered and the onion has become transulcent, then add the chopped celery and carrots. Cook for about two minutes, stirring the vegetables to coat them.
3. Add the ground beef, a large pinch of salt and a few grindings of pepper. Crumble the meat with afork, stir well, and cook until the beef has lost it's raw, red color.
4. Add the wine, let it simmer until it has evaporated, then add the tomatoes and stir throughly to coat all the ingredients well.
5. When the tomatoes begin to bubble, turn the heat down so that the sauce cooks at the laziest of simmers, with just an intermittent bubble breaking through to the surface. Cook, uncovered, for 3 hours or more, stirring from time to time.
6. While sauce is cooking, you are likely to find that it begins to dry out and the fat separates from the meat. To keep it from sticking , continue the cooking and adding 1/2 cup of water when necessary. At the end, however, no water at all must be laft and the fat must separate from the sauce. Taste to correct for salt.
Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly to avoid burning the flour.
Pour in the milk, continue to whisk constantly until it begins to boil.
Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Lower heat., cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
LASAGNA NOODLES & LAYERING
Cook noodles in boiling salted water according to package.
Toss the noodles with olive oil and begin to layering a small casserole dish by placing on the bottom of the dish one noodle , then spread layer of Bolegnese sauce and then a layer of bechamel sauce, sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese. Another layer of noodles and repeat layers of Bolognese and bechamel sauces. Top with Parmesan Cheese and grated mozzarella cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly.