This spicy Mexican tomato sauce is traditionally used for Huevos Rancheros but equally delicious served over steamed veggies or grilled fish.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion or 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 chopped canned chipotles in adobo, or to taste
- 1 to 2 tbsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotles, or to taste
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro, to finish
- Squeeze of lime juice, to finish
Adapted from cbc.ca
Heat saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. When olive oil is hot, add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add chipotles, adobo sauce and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce and let simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Finish with chopped cilantro and lime juice.