Classic Red Rice
- 1 can peeled whole tomatoes in juice - (14 1/2 oz), drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped white onion
- 2 small garlic cloves peeled
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1 cup medium-grain white rice
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 medium carrot peeled, and cut into 1/3" pieces
- 1/3 cup shelled fresh peas or frozen
- 1/3 cup fresh corn kernels or frozen
- 6 fresh cilantro sprigs tied together with
- kitchen twine
- 2 serrano chiles - (to 3) halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
Puree tomatoes, onion, and garlic in blender until smooth.
Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice; stir until rice is pale golden, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato puree, then 1 cup hot water, carrot, peas, corn, cilantro sprigs, chiles, and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
Uncover and cook until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes longer. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Discard cilantro and chiles. Fluff rice with fork.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.