Chilaquiles In Chipotle Sauce
- Canola oil for frying
- 18 white corn tortillas - (5" to 6" dia) each cut into 8
- Chipotle Sauce II (see recipe)
- 3 large fresh epazote sprigs stemmed (or 3 fresh oregano sprigs)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup crema mexicana* (or sour cream)
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
* Cultured Mexican cream with a slightly nutty flavor and consistency of thin sour cream.
Pour enough oil into large deep skillet to reach depth of 1 inch. Attach deep-fry thermometer; heat oil over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. Add 12 tortilla triangles at a time to oil. Fry until golden, turning occasionally, about 1 minute. Using slotted spoon, transfer chips to paper towels; cool.
Heat Chipotle Sauce in another large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add epazote; simmer 2 minutes. Season with salt; stir in chips. Immediately divide among 6 plates. Top with cilantro, then crema, queso fresco, and onion.
This recipe yields 6 servings.