Crescent City Gumbo
Calories:353 (24% from fat)
Fat:9.4g (sat 1.5g,mono 3.8g,poly 2.3g)
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound low-fat smoked sausage (such as Healthy Choice) or turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups (1-inch) slices fresh okra
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 2/3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 teaspoon oil, chicken, and sausage; sauté for 3 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan (leave drippings in pan). Add onion, bell pepper, and celery to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and red pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until onion is tender and garlic is fragrant. Remove from pan.
Add remaining oil to pan. Add flour to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook 10 minutes or until roux is light brown, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add chicken and sausage, onion mixture, tomatoes, okra, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in parsley and shrimp; cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done. Discard bay leaves. Serve over rice.