- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 and 1⁄4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped cucumber (about medium seedless
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves, shredded
Using a mesh strainer, rinse and drain the quinoa under cold water.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the quinoa, broth and 2 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all of the broth is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. When done, the grains will appear soft and translucent, and the germ ring will be visible along the outside edge. Transfer to a shallow platter and spread evenly. Let it cool.
Meanwhile, place the tomatoes in a colander or mesh strainer. Sprinkle the tomatoes lightly with salt and set over the sink or a bowl and let drain for 10 minutes.
Once the quinoa has cooled, transfer it to a large serving bowl. Add the drained tomatoes, the cucumber, scallions, garlic, remaining 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and the oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill for at least 1 hour, or until ready to serve. Just before serving, stir in the parsley and mint.