Hot and Smoky Baked Beans
- 3 1/2 cups (about 1lb 7oz) dried Great Northern white beans, picked over
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 3 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups BBQ sauce
- 1 1/4 cups salsa
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 230mins
1) In a 5 qrt pan combine the beans with cold water to cover them generously. Set over med heat and bring to a full boil. Remove the pan from the leat and let the beans stand in the water until cool.
2) Drain, again cover the beans generously with cold water and set the pan over med heat. Add the ham hock to the pan and bring the water to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring once or twice, for 20 mins. Stir in 2 tsp of the salt and cook for another 15-20 mins, or until the beans are tender. Remove and reserve the ham hock. Drain the beans, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the cooking water.
3) Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, stir together the beans, reserved bean cooking water, onions, BBQ sauce, salsa, brown sugar, mustard, molasses and the remaining 1 1/2 tsp salt. Transfer the mixture to a deep, 4 1/4 - 5 qrt ovenproof casserole or bean pot. Bury the ham hock in the middle of the beans and bake uncovered for 1 hr. Stir the beans and bake for another 30 to 40 mins, or until very thick, but not dry. Remove and discard the ham hock before serving. Serve warm.