Doucake double Fudge Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- For the frosting:
- 21/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 11/2 cups good cocoa powder
- 21/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 112 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 24 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- M&M's candy for decorating
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 12 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan and set aside.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars on high speed until light,
approximately 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla and mix well. Combine the buttermilk, sour cream,
and coffee. On low speed, add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture alternately in thirds, beginning with the
buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture. Mix the batter only until blended.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 to 30
minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool to room temperature before frosting.
Place the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the
chips are completely melted. Off the heat, add the corn syrup and vanilla and allow the chocolate mixture to cool to room
temperature. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the chocolate mixture and softened