Rio Grande Pilaf
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup bottled salsa
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can (16 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
1) In a med, non-reactive saucepan, warm the olive oil over low heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, oregano and cumin, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 10 mins. Add the rice and cook, stirring often for 3 mins or until the grains are fully coated with oil and turn slightly translucent. Stir in the broth, salsa and salt. Raise the heat, bring to a boil, then lower the heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer undisturbed for 20 mins.
2) Add the beans to the pan, preading them atop the rice, cover and cook for another 2 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand for 5 mins. Sprinkle the cilantro over the means and stir them into the rice.