Mixed-Nut Spiced Toffee
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter - (2 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups coarsely-chopped toasted mixed nuts (such as cashews, almonds, and pistachios)
- 5 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate coarsely chopped (do not use unsweetened)
Butter small rimmed baking sheet.
Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat. Add next 6 ingredients; stir until sugars dissolve. Attach clip-on candy thermometer to pan. Increase heat to medium; boil until thermometer registers 290 degrees, stirring slowly but constantly and scraping bottom of pan with wooden spatula, about 20 minutes.
Remove pan from heat. Mix in 1 1/2 cups nuts. Immediately pour candy onto sheet. Spread toffee to 1/4-inch thickness. Immediately sprinkle chocolate atop toffee. Let stand 1 minute. Using back of spoon, spread chocolate over toffee. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup nuts. Chill 1 hour.
Break toffee into pieces. (Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Chill in airtight container. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving.)
This recipe yields about 2 pounds.