Grilled Dixie Chicken With Cayenne Spice Rub
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning with garlic and onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick) room temperature
- 2 chickens - (4 lbs ea) quartered, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 sourdough baguette cut on diagonal
- into 3/4"-thick slices
Combine first 9 ingredients in small bowl; whisk spice rub to blend well. Transfer 1 tablespoon spice rub to medium bowl; add butter and mix well. (Rub and seasoned butter can be made 2 days ahead. Cover separately. Chill butter. Bring butter to room temperature before using.)
Sprinkle spice rub over both sides of chicken pieces. Arrange chicken pieces on waxed-paper-lined baking sheets. Cover chicken with more waxed paper and let stand at room temperature at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Reserve 4 tablespoons seasoned butter. Spread remaining seasoned butter on 1 side of baguette slices. Place bread slices on platter and cover. Place chicken on grill, skin-side up. Grill 20 minutes. Turn chicken over. Grill until skin is deep golden brown, about 15 minutes. Turn chicken again and grill, skin-side up, until cooked through (no red shows when chicken is cut at thigh bone), about 5 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to platter. Brush chicken with reserved 4 tablespoons seasoned butter.
Grill bread until just golden, about 2 minutes per side. Arrange toasts around chicken and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.