Saffron Rice And Red Pepper Pilaf
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice (or other long-grain white rice)
- 3 cups low-salt chicken broth or more if needed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron threads - (generous)
- 6 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Parmesan cheese shavings for serving
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add peppers and onion. Sauté until soft, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add rice; stir 1 minute. Mix in 3 cups broth, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and saffron. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in 6 tablespoons grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper. (Pilaf can be made 30 minutes ahead. Keep covered. Rewarm over low heat, adding more broth by tablespoonfuls to moisten if necessary.) Stir 1 1/2 tablespoons chives into pilaf. Mound in serving bowl. Top with cheese shavings and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons chives.
This recipe yields 6 servings.