Tuscan-Style Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons prepared pesto
- 2 squares focaccia or ciabatta - (4" by 4") (Italian flatbread available at many bakeries and supermarkets)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Olive oil as needed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella - (thin slices)
- 2 canned artichoke hearts drained, sliced thin
- 1 plum tomato thinly sliced
- 1 cup mixed baby greens
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Combine mayonnaise and pesto in small bowl; whisk to blend. Cut bread horizontally in half. Brush chicken lightly with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Grill chicken until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to cutting board; cool slightly. Cut chicken on sharp diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
Spread pesto mayonnaise onto cut surfaces of bread. Layer chicken, mozzarella, artichokes, tomato, and greens onto bottom halves. Top with bread tops.
This recipe yields 2 servings.