- 2 eggplants - (1 lb ea) halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste) (available at Middle Eastern and natural foods stores and some supermarkets)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Pita bread wedges for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously oil rimmed baking sheet. Place eggplant halves, cut-side down, on sheet. Roast until eggplant is very soft, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly. Using spoon, scoop out pulp from eggplant into strainer set over bowl. Let stand 30 minutes, allowing excess liquid to drain from eggplant.
Transfer eggplant pulp to processor. Add 1/4 cup oil, tahini, lemon juice, and garlic; process until almost smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to small bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.) Serve with pita wedges.
This recipe yields about 1 3/4 cups.
This Middle Eastern eggplant spread is also a delicious dip for raw vegetables.