Whole Wheat Porcini Soda Bread
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms - (abt 1 1/2 cups) any grit brushed
- away, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced unsulfured dried apricots (or dried figs)
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - (1/2 stick) melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg beaten to blend
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix mushrooms and apricots in medium bowl; pour 3/4 cup warm water over. Let stand until mushrooms and apricots soften and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Mix buttermilk, oats, and butter in large bowl. Let stand until oats soften, about 15 minutes. Stir mushroom mixture into oat mixture. Stir in honey.
This recipe yields 1 large loaf.