Roasted Vegetable Succotash
- 1 pound yams peeled, diced (red-skinned sweet potatoes)
- 8 ounces parsnips peeled, diced
- 8 ounces rutabagas peeled, diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium leek, white and pale green parts only cut 1/2" pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans thawed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs (made from crustless French bread)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss first 5 ingredients, 3 tablespoons oil, and garlic on large rimmed baking sheet; spread in single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Stir in lima beans; roast until all vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes longer.
Stir breadcrumbs and 2 teaspoons oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
Bring half-and-half to boil in heavy small saucepan. Mix roasted vegetables, hot half-and-half, parsley, thyme, and oregano in 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle toasted breadcrumbs over and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings. Per serving: calories, 296; total fat, 13 g; saturated fat, 4 g; cholesterol, 20 mg.