Mixed Greens With Marinated Anchovies
- 2/3 cup olive oil plus
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 cans anchovies packed in oil - (2 oz ea) drained well (or two 3.75-oz cans sardines in oil)
- 12 baguette slices, 1/2" thick
- 1 bag mixed baby greens - (5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Blend 2/3 cup olive oil, oregano, lemon juice, garlic, lemon peel, and crushed red pepper in medium bowl; transfer 1/4 cup marinade to small bowl and reserve. Mix anchovies into remaining marinade. Let stand 2 hours at room temperature.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush bread slices on both sides with reserved marinade; arrange on baking sheet. Bake until toasts are golden, about 10 minutes.
Place greens in large bowl. Add balsamic vinegar and remaining 1/4 cup olive oil; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide greens among 4 plates. Top each salad with anchovies; garnish each with 3 toasts.
This recipe yields 4 first-course servings.