Mixed Grain And Wild Rice Cereal
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats (Irish oatmeal)
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar plus
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Simmer 2 cups water and wild rice in small saucepan 20 minutes. Drain.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 2 1/2-quart ovenproof dish. In prepared dish, mix wild rice with remaining 6 cups water. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Cover loosely with foil and bake until grains are tender, water is absorbed and cereal is creamy, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 hours.
This recipe yields 8 servings.