- Corn oil for deep frying
- 6 corn tortillas halved
- 12 eggs
- 4 large green onions sliced
- 2 jalapeños very thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan to 375 degrees. Add tortilla halves and fry until golden brown and crisp, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and drain.
Beat eggs, next 5 ingredients and half of cheese in bowl. Crumble in 4 tortilla halves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add egg mixture and cook until just set, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Divide among plates. Sprinkle remaining cheese over eggs. Stand 2 tortilla halves in each serving and garnish with cilantro sprigs.
This recipe yields 4 servings.