Boston Marathon Chili
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 green bell peppers chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound beef stew meat cut 1" cubes
- 2 pounds boneless pork butt cut 1" cubes (or boneless country-style spareribs)
- 1 can whole tomatoes - (28 oz) chopped, and liquid reserved
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 large jalapeño chile - (to 2) chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can black beans - (16 oz) drained
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped red onions
- Sour cream
Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 onions, bell peppers and garlic and saute until tender, about 14 minutes. Transfer mixture to plate, using slotted spoon.
Add beef and pork to Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat until no longer pink, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Return onion mixture to Dutch oven. Add tomatoes with liquid, chili powder, jalapeños and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Cover Dutch oven and simmer until beef and pork are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
Add black beans and red wine to chili. Simmer uncovered until beef and pork are tender and chili thickens, about 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Ladle into bowls. Serve, passing cheese, cilantro, red onions and sour cream separately.
This recipe yields 10 servings.