BIKO (FILIPINO RICE CAKE)
- 2 cups sweet rice (washed and drained)
- 3 cans Coconut Milk
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1-1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1. Generously grease baking pan and set aside.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, mix together the 3 cups coconut milk and water. Add the sweet rice and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, lower the heat to medium and let it simmer, stirring constantly to keep rice from burning.
3. When rice mixture begins to thicken, add 1 cup brown sugar and stir until sugar Is dissolved and fully incorporated. Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until mixture is very thick and sticky. Biko is ready when it is already very difficult to stir and it pulls from the pan.
4. Pour the rice into the greased pan. Spread out evenly and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.
5. While waiting, prepare the coconut caramel topping by combining the rest of the coconut milk and 1-1/4 cup brown sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat while constantly stirring until the liquid thickens and is reduced to almost half.
6. Take the rice out of the oven and spread the caramel topping evenly over the rice and bake for another 15 - 20 minutes or until caramel is browned.
7. Let cool, before serving.