Chicken Sausage Jambalaya Crockpot
Terrific Tip: Use low-sodium chicken broth for a diabetic-friendly recipe. Tired of wasting tomato paste? Buy in a tube and squeeze out desired amount!
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 220 Calories from Fat 13% Fat 3g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 46mg Sodium 652mg Carbohydrates 28g Dietary Fiber 3g Total Sugars 6g Protein 19g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat sausage, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1/2 chopped green onions
Adapted from thehealthycookingblog.com
1. In 3 1/2-6-quart slow cooker, insert plastic liner if desired and place chicken and sausage in pot. Add remaining ingredients except brown rice and green onions.
2. Cook on LOW 2 1/2 hours. Turn to HIGH and stir in rice and green onions. Cook, covered 30 minutes more or until the rice is tender and liquid absorbed.