- 2 1/3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Butterscotch Sauce, if desired
1. Heat oven to 325ºF. Grease and flour bottom and sides of square pan, 9x9x2 inches.
2.Beat all ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
3. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or cool.