Recipe courtesy of Patti LaBelle
- 1 1 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 1/3 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 5 5 5 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 2 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Flour, for rolling the dough
- 1 1 1 package store-bought pie crust (2 pieces per package)
- Whipped cream or your favorite ice cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and cornstarch together. Add the raspberries and stir gently but thoroughly. Stir in the butter cubes and set aside.
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a round about 13 inches in diameter. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie dish. Trim the overhanging dough to 1/2-inch overhang.
Spread the raspberry filling into the pie dish. Roll out the second piece of dough and cut into 3/4-inch-wide strips (you'll need 9 strips). Lay 5 of the strips across the pie, and then the lay the 4 others on top to create a crisscross look. Fold and pinch the overhanging dough to create an edge.
Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and continue baking for 90 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the crisscross pie top is golden brown. Remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool completely. Slice and serve with whipped cream or your favorite ice cream.