SPICED SWEET POTATO TACOS
- 1 1 1 very large sweet potato (about 1
- 1/2 1/2 1/4-inch small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 1/2 cup)
- 2 2 1 small garlic cloves, minced (about 1
- 1 1 can 1 (15-ounce) can pinto or black beans,
- 1 1/2 drained (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn kernels,
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 1/2 to teaspoon groun ancho chile, or to
- Sea salt
- 12 to 16 12 to 16 16 corn tortillas
- 1 1 1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled
- 2 2 2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, cored and
- 1/4-inch 1 1/4-inch dice (about 1 cup)
- 3 3 3 scallions, white and green parts,
- 3/4 sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 2 1 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1
Adapted from forksoverknives.com
1. Cut the sweet potato lengthwise into 1/2 to
3/4-inch thick sticks.
2. Place a steamer basket in a sauté pan, and add 1
to 2 inches of water to the pan. Cover and bring to a
simmer. Place the sweet potato wedges in the
steamer, cover, and steam until the sweet potato is
cooked through but not too soft, 7 to 10 minutes,
making sure not to overcook. Remove the sweet
potato from the pot and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, place the onion, garlic, and 2
tablespoons water. Cover and cook over low heat
until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the reserved sweet potato, beans, corn,
cumin, ancho chile, and salt to taste. Gently fold to
coat the sweet potato with the spices. Cook over
medium-low heat until heated through, 5 to 7
minutes. Remove from the heat.
5. Line a plate with a damp large, clean dish towel.
Warm the tortillas one at a time for about 20 seconds
on each side in a dry skillet set over medium heat.
Or, if you have a gas stove, place a tortilla straight
over the flame for a few seconds on each side. As
you heat the tortillas, stack them on the damp towel
and cover the tops of them with the towel to retain
6. Place the avocado in a small bowl and use a fork to
gently mash it.