Chicken Alfredo Baked Ziti
- 3 3 3 cups uncooked ziti pasta (or any small pasta)
- 2 2 2 cups shredded/diced, cooked chicken breast (1 large chicken breast)
- 1 1 1 batch alfredo sauce or one jar premade sauce
- 1 1/2 1 1/2 1/2 cups fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- fresh minced parsley, for garnish
- half bag spinach (optional)
- Lighter Alfredo sauce
- 2 2 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 2 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 3 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1 1 cup half & half (or milk or cream)
- 3/4 3/4 3/4 cup freshly shredded parmesan
- Traditional Alfredo sauce
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup butter
- 2 2 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1 1 cup half and half (or all heavy cream)
- 3/4 3/4 3/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a medium sized baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Add uncooked ziti to a pot of boiling, salted water. Cook until about 1 minute before al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, make alfredo sauce and cook spinach with olive oil if necessary
4. In a large bowl or directly in the pan used to make the alfredo sauce, stir in chicken and pasta (and spinach) to coat. Spoon half of the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Layer with half of the mozzarella cheese, remaining pasta mixture, then top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until top is beginning to brown and sauce is bubbly.
6. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
7. Garnish with fresh minced parsley, if desired.
Lighter Alfredo sauce
1. Melt butter in a 4 quart pot over medium heat
2. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden
3. Stir in chicken broth and milk and bring to a boil. Simmer for several minutes, or until sauce is thickened, stirring often.
4. Remove from heat and stir in fresh grated parmesan cheese until melted.
Traditional Alfredo sauce
1. Melt butter in a 4 quart pot over medium low heat
2. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Stir in half & half and bring to a simmer (do not boil)
3. Stir in fresh grated parmesan cheese until melted.
4. Season sauce with salt and pepper, remove from heat.