Wild Mushroom & Spinach Stuffed Shells
Baked jumbo pasta shells stuffed with a mix of sliced wild mushrooms, baby spinach, cheese and onions smothered in lovely tomato garlic sauce. Add a protein and dinner is served. Enjoy!
- 6 6 6 ounces jumbo shell pasta (20 shells)
- 1 3/4 1 3/4 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3 3 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 1 1/2 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped (1 medium yellow onion)
- 3 3 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1 can 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 3/4 3/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 8 8 8 ounces mixed wild mushrooms, sliced (shiitake, oyster, cremini)
- 5 5 5 ounces baby spinach, roughly chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 1 1 (16-ounce) whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 1 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 40mins
Preheat oven to 400°F. Shelves in the boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring often until softer, about five minutes. Stir in tomatoes, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt and a half a teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup sauce. Spoon remaining sauce into a lightly oil 13 x 9”-inch baking dish.
Wipe skillet clean and heat 1 tablespoon over medium high. Add mushrooms and remaining half teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cook, stirring occasionally, about five minutes. Transfer to the bowl. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to skillet. Add spinach and cook, tossing, until wilted, about one minute.
Stuff shells with ricotta, mushrooms, and spinach and arranging baking dish. Top with reserved half cup sauce and Parmesan. Bake until shells are heated through and cheese is melted, 12 to 15 minutes.