- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium-size yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 ounces dried chorizo, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped, or one 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup pitted stuffed olives.
Preparation time 60mins
Step 1Put the olive oil in a large, heavy pan set over a medium-high flame, and heat until it begins to shimmer. Add onions, chorizo and garlic, stir to combine and cook until the onions have started to soften, approximately 10 minutes.
Step 2Add the ground beef, and allow it to brown, crumbling the meat with a fork as it does. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Step 3Add tomatoes, vinegar, cinnamon, cumin, bay leaves, cloves and nutmeg and stir to combine. Lower the heat, and let the stew simmer, covered, for approximately 30 minutes.
Step 4Uncover the pan, and add the raisins and the olives. Allow the stew to cook for another 15 minutes or so, then serve, accompanied by white rice.