Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Sausage
- 3-4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, divided
- 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- Garnish: toasted hazelnut pieces and fresh sage leaves
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Cut the squash, carrots, and onion into 1-inch chunks.
Toss the vegetable chunks and garlic in the olive oil and spread out on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Place the vegetables in the oven and roast for 20 minutes, stirring once.
Cook the sausage in a stockpot over medium heat until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Remove the vegetables from the oven and place them in a blender.
Add half of the broth and purée until smooth.
Add the purée and the remainder of the broth to the pot with the sausage, stirring to combine.
Season with the cinnamon, ginger, allspice, bay leaf, and the remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve hot, garnished with fresh sage and toasted hazelnut pieces.