TWO POTATO GRATIN
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup whole or 2 % milk, cream, or half and half
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Pinch of chili powder
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 3 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a shallow 2 quart gratin pan.
In a large saucepan, combine milk, salt, pepper, chili powder, and nutmeg. Heat to boiling over . Add potatoes and return to a boil; simmer a few
minutes, until mixture thickens . Remove from heat and stir in mustard.
With a slotted spoon, transfer half the potatoes to gratin dish; place in an even layer. Sprinkle with ½ cup of cheese. Top with remaining potatoes; pour milk
mixture over potatoes and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 40 minutes, until potatoes are tender and top is golden.