Swiss Cube Steak
Feel free to add mushrooms or carrots or green peppers. Replace some of the beef broth/stock with red wine! Easily adapted to a slow cooker.
- 2pounds2 pounds beef cube steak (6 steaks)
- 2teaspoons2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4cup3/4 cup all-purpose flour, reserving excess flour
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided in half
- 1large1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 6 to 7medium6 to 7 medium carrots (3 cups) sliced into 1/2 inch slices (optional)
- 2cloves2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2stalks2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1(14.5-ounce) can1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2cups1 1/2 cups beef stock/broth
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 195mins
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Lightly season the steaks on both sides with the salt and pepper. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge the steak in the flour and set aside. Reserve the flour.
Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil, over medium-high heat, to a Dutch oven. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add half of the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a plate. Brown the remaining steaks and set aside.
Add the onions, carrots and celery and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add the garlic and saute briefly, until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine.
In a medium bowl combine the tomatoes, paprika, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Whisk in leftover flour.
Add the Beef broth mixture to the pot and stir to combine.
Return the meat to the pot. Cover and place in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
I use a multicooker and perform everything in 1 pot. Increase broth to 2 1/2 cups. I set the cooker on 275 degrees (simmer) for 1 hour
Steak 55 per ounce
Sauce 27 per 1/4 cup
Carrots 41 per 1/2 cup