Baked Ziti with Summer Vegetables
From Southern Living May 2017
- 1 lb uncooked ziti pasta
- 2 1/2 lb yellow squash and zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds and half-moons
- 2 pt red grape tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 oz Romano cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 (12-oz) jar marinara sauce
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Fresh basil leaves
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 50mins
Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain and cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
While pasta cooks, preheat broiler with oven rack 6 inches from heat. Toss together squash, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and ½ teaspoon of the pepper on an aluminum foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Spread in a single layer; broil until charred and tender, about 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350. Stir together ricotta, Romano, basil, vinegar, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
Combine pasta, cooking vegetables, and marinara sauce in a large bowl; gently stir to combine. Spoon half of pasta mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Dollop 1 cup of ricotta mixture. Top evenly with mozzarella.
Bake at 350 until lightly browned and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with basil.