Linguine with Creamy Asparagus Pesto
From Pampered Chef
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- 12 oz uncooked linguine pasta
- 1 lb fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1/3 cup snipped fresh chives
- 2 oz fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted salted pistachios, shelled
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 medium avocado
- 3/4 tsp each salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Additional ground black pepper (optional)
For pasta, bring 3 quarts water to a boil in covered 4-quart pot. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
Meanwhile, place asparagus and enough water to cover in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave, covered, on high 7-9 minutes or until tender; drain and cool 5 minutes.
Snip chives; set aside. Grate cheese. Juice lemon to measure 1 Tbsp.
Slice tips off asparagus spears; set tips aside. Slice asparagus bottoms into 1-inch pieces. Process asparagus bottoms, lemon juice, pistachios, oil and garlic in food processor until finely chopped. Add half of the cheese, avocado, salt, pepper, and sugar; process until smooth.
Using tongs, toss pasta, pesto, chives, and asparagus tips until pasta is thoroughly coated.
Sprinkle pasta with remaining cheese and additional pepper, if desired.