Sticky toffee pudding
- FOR THE TOFFEE SAUCE:
- 200 g dried dates , stoned and chopped. Buy Medjool if you can
- 250 ml black tea (not too strong)
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 85 g unsalted butter , softened
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 175 g golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 100 g light muscovado sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 142ml carton double cream
Adapted from bbcgoodfood.com
1.Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Put the dates and tea in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes to soften the dates. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda.
2. Beat the butter and caster sugar together with electric beaters until pale and creamy, then beat in the egg, flour and mixed spice. Fold in the date mixture and pour into a buttered ovenproof dish or brownie tin. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is just firm to touch.
3. Meanwhile, make the sauce by putting the sugar, butter and cream in a pan over a low heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Cook until the sauce is a lovely toffee colour. Cut the pudding into squares and serve with the warm sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Know-how : Buy Medjool dates if you can - they have a lovely natural toffee flavour and sticky texture.
Per serving: 557 kcalories, protein 5.1g, carbohydrate 69.6g, fat 30.7 g, saturated fat 18g, fibre 1.7g, salt 0.29 g