Black-Eyed Pea Dip
- 1 1/4 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 package cream cheese - (3 oz) room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar - (abt 6 oz)
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
- Tortilla chips for serving
Place peas in heavy medium saucepan. Add enough water to saucepan to cover peas by 2 inches. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain. Add water to cover peas by 2 inches. Generously salt water. Stir in 1 garlic clove. Boil until peas are very tender, adding more water to pan if necessary, about 1 hour.
Using slotted spoon, transfer peas to processor. Process until smooth. Add remaining garlic clove and next 3 ingredients. Pulse until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer dip to 8-inch-diameter pie plate or quiche dish. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Top dip with cheddar. Bake until dip is heated through and cheese bubbles, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle dip with green onions and serve with tortilla chips.
This recipe yields 6 servings.